Sunday, October 19, 2008

Italy and London




Italy

In Pisa, naturally we’d no accommodation booked, but a walk around eventually brought us to da Leo’s a nice, but basic B&B for 65euro a night. Pisa proved to be romantic, friendly, beautiful, warm and all things good. A nice place to break in the reality that, oh my God, we just got married! With the busy fortnight in Spain, this was our first time to really realise we are now husband and wife. Malachy proceeded to tell everyone we met, in his best Borat accent ‘she is my wife’.

My first glance of the infamous leaning tower was one of disappointment, we viewed it from a back street, and to me it was less then impressive. From learning about it during my school days, to making a paper model of it with some of my students in Korea, I expected something bigger. It seemed as if it was leaning out from the surrounding buildings just to be seen. Tall buildings seem so mundane to us now, that my first utterance was ‘is that it?’ Although, on walking around into the park, seeing the tower stand/lean out, rather then blend it, I have to admit, I am impressed. It’s spectacular, where Korea definitely outdoes it in height, it has the upper hand where beauty and architecture is concerned. Magnificent!

Food was wonderful, some of the best pizza we’ve ever tasted (as good as the ‘one hour pizza’, but a fraction of the time and cost!- fellow Yeojuites know what I’m talking about!). Wine, wine wine..

An early rise, proceeded by a brisk walk to the airport -15mins- led us once again to our ‘on time Ryanair flight’ (sorry guys, we have to admit that we are impressed with Ryanair) to London Stansted.

London

We had to make our way cross-country to Heathrow, on the National Express, which cost more then our flights from Pisa!! Ridiculous! Heathrow seemed like another cross-country race trying to get to terminal four, luckily we had hours to spare. After a break-the-bank day at Heathrow, a few emotional calls home, we finally boarded our flight to Delhi at 5.20pm. Hello screaming babies! Not one, not two, but three babies were around us, with a few more in the cabin ahead; let’s just say they didn’t like flying!

No comments: